The solitary alkiliths are powerful demons of the Abyss. Considered 'true' members of their race, they possess a startling array of supernatural powers with which to tempt and slay mortal fools, and are partially immortal in that even death outside the Abyss may not stop them for long!
Tanar'ri Physique: as true tanar'ri, alkiliths are incredibly dangerous demonic entities. They possess a large array of physical and supernatural powers, an inherent psionic potential, and even the ability to shrug off death! Their considerable powers include the following:
* Darkness: all tanar'ri have the ability to share the inherent darkness of their very souls with the world at large. This rudimentary power functions at but Poor (4) rank, but basically 'blacks out' the area an alkilith currently occupies (it works within Near range).
* Damage Reduction / Magical and Cold Attacks: while not immune to magic or cold attacks, alkiliths are considerably resistant to these attack forms. When exposed to such damage, an alkilith may reduce its intensity by 2 CS - before other defenses apply.
* Damage Reduction / Blunt Attacks: the nature of their amorphous bodies make the alkiliths highly resistant to blunt force trauma. They benefit from an additional 1 CS of damage reduction against assaults which inflict Blunt Attack, Blunt Throwing and Force damage.
* Damage Reduction / Physical Attacks: one of the benefits of an alkilith's highly magical body is that it proves highly resistant to physical assault of any variety. Thanks to this characteristic, alkiliths may reduce the intensity of incoming physical damage by 2 CS.
* Dimensional Transit: in addition to being able to teleport, tanar'ri can transition themselves between planes of existence. They may do so with Good (10) ability, though on a failed FEAT roll dimensionally transiting tanar'ri may be subject to error, per a failed teleport. *
* Infravision: many of the Abyss' countless layers are dark beyond mortal ken, and have never seen the light (physically or otherwise). As such, all tanar'ri have evolved the ability to see by heat as well as by visible light, and can do so with Good (10) ability.
* Invulnerability to Corrosion, Electricity, Fire, Heat, and Poison: the tanar'ri are hardy creatures - they have to be to survive at all in the endless, horrific wastes of the Abyss. The caustic alkiliths in particular possess immunity to corrosion, electricity, fire, heat, and poison.
* Portal Sense: planar beings all, alkiliths have the ability to perceive the various rifts that dot the planescape of the multiverse. Most of these doorways are invisible to the naked eye, but all alkiliths can spy them with ease, doing so with Excellent (20) ability.
* Telepathy: almost all tanar'ri are able to communicate directly from mind to mind - a vital skill when so few speak the same tongue. They can usually broadcast and receive thoughts at Typical (6) rank, enough to get their point across when necessary.
* Teleportation: chaotic creatures all, the tanar'ri can bend space itself to their will. All tanar'ri possess the power to teleport with Remarkable (30) ability, and can avoid teleportation's usual side effects while transporting themselves within the same plane of existence. *
Additional Limbs / Pseudopods: as a general matter of rule, alkiliths have no limbs to speak of. However, they can form several pseudopods at their leisure, and may attempt up to four separate attacks with them each turn - whether 'bare handed' or holding a weapon.
Animal Control: highly intelligent blobs of corrosive poison, alkiliths hold some power over like, less intelligent entities. An alkilith may exert Excellent (20) sway over any non-sentient ooze, jelly, slime, or fungus-based monstrosities.
Annulment: in addition to their considerable magic resistance, alkiliths have the ability to completely dispel magic in its vicinity as well. Functioning at Good (10) rank, this spell-like power allows them to easily counter weaker magic used against them.
Circular Vision: alkiliths tend to have anywhere between three and seven eye globules scattered across their body at any given time. This allows them to visually observe everything occurring in their environment around them, thus allowing them the use of this ability.
Cold / Ice Generation: three times per day, an alkilith may emit intense cold or ice. It may do this with Excellent (20) ability, in a manner which strikes foes within a thirty degree arc with sheer cold or constructs a wall of ice sufficient to block an entire area off from the outside.
Corrosion: though not physically strong, alkiliths can inflict staggering damage thanks to this ability. They can exude acids on touch, which act to inflict Excellent (20) SD Metabolic damage to inorganic entities as well as the materials and equipment of their many foes.
Danger Sense: alkiliths are supremely aware of their environment, and are thus rarely surprised. They possess this supernatural awareness of their surroundings at Good (10) rank, though this ability is increased by +2 CS while they're actually in the Abyss.
Death Ray: not content with simply corroding others, an alkilith can kill outright! They may emit a ray of anti-life energies at will, which inflicts Good (10) Metabolic damage with each blast - literally cancelling out some of one's life force with each attack!
Disease: the vile alkiliths are harbingers of plague. They can inflict terrifying, transient diseases with Good (10) ability. Those who cannot resist this power will be subject to power rank Metabolic damage, as well as the effects of the disease in question, for 1d100 turns.
Magic Sense: all alkiliths have the ability to sense ambient magic in their environment. They may do so with Good (10) ability, which lets them spot magical items, beings, and other phenomena within Near distance of their person (four areas).
Paralysis: complementing their destructive powers, alkiliths can also paralyze a single foe with Excellent (20) ability, per the spell of the same name. This makes it much harder for the victims of an alkilith to avoid being utterly destroyed or corrupted by their power!
Poison: the acidic secretions of the alkilith are not only corrosive, but are also poisonous! Those who are touched by an alkilith must pass an Endurance FEAT roll against this Good (10) ranked power or suffer like SD Metabolic damage, each time one comes in contact with the creature.
Revival: like other true tanar'ri, alkiliths can sometimes give death the laugh. Unless killed inside the Abyss or eaten, alkiliths may attempt to reconstitute themselves on their home plane with this Typical (6) ranked power. The difficulty involved, of course, depends on how they died.
Summoning: while their prowess with this power is less potent than that held by other true tanar'ri, alkiliths can also summon their fellows in a pinch. At Typical (6) rank, an alkilith can attempt, once per day, to summon forth either one to three chasme or just one hezrou.
Transformation / Self: while usually encountered in the form of an acidic slime, an alkilith may transform into a vaporous state. This horrific mist will cover an entire area, and automatically prompts an attack with their poison ability against anyone present (Good (10)).
In addition to the above, considerable array of supernatural powers, alkiliths are also equipped with natural psionic abilities. These capabilities will vary from alkilith to alkilith, but will usually be of either an empathic, metapsi, or psipathic bent, most often being destructive in nature.
Limitations / Enhancements:
Susceptibility: like all tanar'ri, alkiliths are weak against the use of cold-wrought iron weapons, as well as holy water and weapons. Their supernatural defenses are ineffective against such assaults, which inflict at least a quarter of their maximum Health in damage.
Unattractive 3: alkiliths are shapeless, formless catalysts of decay! Mortals react very negatively to an alkilith, both for their appearance and demonic natures, and alkiliths are at a -6 CS to all NPC reactions when interacting with humanoid beings of any kind - even other tanar'ri!
The ranks of the alkiliths are filled with sadistic and solitary sociopaths. They live only to spread the corruption of the Abyss across the multiverse, and everything they do acts to further this goal. They gleefully ruin anyone or anything pure or pristine, in absolutely any way they can.
An alkilith is a formless blob of protoplasm. It may be of virtually any coloration, and may form pseudopods at its leisure - which may or may not have an eye globule sequestered within. Alkiliths usually have from three to seven such globules scattered across their body.
Their 'skin' is hardened protoplasm, which slowly cracks and is reabsorbed into itself as fresh ooze flows outwards. This never-ending cycle of skin growth and decay is yet another manifestation of the corrupting, corrosive nature of an alkilith - as if one needed more reminders.
Alkiliths are never born, nor are they spontaneously created in the roiling chaos of the Abyss - despite being a veritable embodiment of such. No, as true tanar'ri, alkiliths are formed from lesser tanar'ri who gather enough power (either literally or in the minds of others) to become one.
They tend to roam alone where they may, quickly rising to the top of most food chains. Alkiliths are a corrupting influence wherever they go, quickly bringing cities, regions or even whole nations to heel as their caustic, diseased pseudopods affect more individuals over time.
Oddly, alkiliths are often the chosen assassins of Abyssal lords. Their ability to get most anywhere and staggering lethality make them excellent killers, since even the tanar'ri don't see them coming most of the time - especially if they're travelling in their vaporous form.
When not working for an Abyssal lord, alkiliths pursue their own agendas. They do not take part in the Blood War, their alien mores pulling them their own direction - not that they wouldn't kill a baatezu given half the chance. Alkiliths manage this by actively avoiding babau and molydei.
In the inhospitable layers of the Abyss where alkiliths thrive, hardly anything else - even most tanar'ri - dare to tread!
* Depending on which version of the Planescape lore you wish to use, alkiliths (along with the rest of the tanar'ri) may not have access to teleportation any longer, having lost that power due to yugoloth meddling. Its presence is at the discretion of the individual Judge.
If you're not seeing this content within the technohol.com domain, it's been stolen by someone who doesn't respect others' work.