Tanar'ri, Cambion (Major)
There are theoretically an infinite amount of cambion in the Abyss, despite their not forming naturally. The descendants of lesser or greater tanar'ri (aside from succubi) and mortals, major cambion are most often evil entities, and possess a startling array of supernatural powers.
Tanar'ri Physique: while they are somewhat weaker than most other tanar'ri, cambion are considered 'actual' members of the race. The offspring of tanar'ri (again, save for succubi) and mortals, cambion are true planar entities, and possess these tanar'ric capabilities:
* Darkness (a): all tanar'ri have the ability to share the inherent darkness of their very souls with the world at large. This rudimentary power functions at only intensity 4, but basically 'blacks out' everything within near missile distance of the cambion.
* Dimensional Transit (i): in addition to being able to teleport, tanar'ri can transition between planes of existence. They may do so with intensity 5 ability, though on a failed action dimensionally transiting tanar'ri may be subject to error, per a failed teleport. *
* Infravision (w): many of the Abyss' countless layers are dark beyond mortal ken, and have never seen the light (physically or otherwise). As such, all tanar'ri have evolved the ability to see by heat as well as by visible light, and can do so with intensity 5 skill.
* Invulnerability to Fire, Electricity, Heat, and Poison (s): the tanar'ri are hardy creatures - they have to be to survive at all in the endless, horrific wastes of the Abyss. Their forms have evolved over time to give them complete immunity to fire, electricity, heat, and poison.
* Portal Sense (w): planar beings all, cambion have the ability to perceive the various rifts that dot the planescape of the multiverse. Most of these doorways are invisible to the naked eye, but all cambion can spy them with ease, doing so with intensity 8 ability.
* Resistance to Cold Attacks (s): though they are not immune to the effects of cold attacks, tanar'ri are considerably resistant to such. When exposed to any form of cold in their environment, a tanar'ri may resist such as if their Strength were +2 higher (intensity 8).
* Resistance to Magic (s): furthermore, most tanar'ri possess some degree of resistance to magical attacks, whether they come in the form of environmental effects, spells, or even magic items. Cambion possess intensity 9 (+2) protection against all forms of mystic assault.
* Telepathy (w): almost all tanar'ri are able to communicate directly from mind to mind - a vital skill when so few utilize the same tongue. They can usually broadcast and receive thoughts with intensity 5 skill, enough to get their point across when necessary.
* Teleportation (i): chaotic creatures all, the tanar'ri can bend space itself to their will. All tanar'ri possess the power to teleport with intensity 10 ability, and can avoid teleportation's usual side effects while transporting themselves within the same plane of existence. *
Danger Sense (w): similar to the alu-fiends, a cambion's half-breed nature gives them the ability to avoid surprise. They possess this supernatural awareness of their environment at intensity 8, which informs them of any dangers, active or passive, that threaten them.
Fangs (s): though they possess little else in the way of physical weaponry, cambion all have horrible teeth. Their crooked, sickly fangs assist them in handling a rough, Abyssal diet - some of which can be still alive while it's being eaten - and let them inflict +2 damage in melee.
Random Powers: the cambion's physiology is unpredictable, considering the chaotic nature of their parentage (almost any tanar'ri interbreeding with mortals will produce a cambion, allowing for variability). Each of these powers has a 25 percent chance of manifesting in a cambion:
* Emotion Control / Fear (w): dread creatures of chaos and evil, the vile cambion can instill great fear into those it touches. A cambion may cause fear with this intensity 7 power if it can pass an easy difficulty fear (willpower) action against its foe.
* Levitation (a): up to seven times a day, some cambion have the ability to defy gravity itself! They may do so with intensity 10 ability, which allows them to carry up to eight hundred pounds with no visible means of support (on top of their own weight).
* Magic Sense (w): some cambion have the ability to sense ambient magic in their environment. They may do so with intensity 9 ability, which lets them spot magical items, beings, and other phenomena within far missile distance of their person.
* Shape Change (a): this spell-like power allows some cambion to change their appearance. They may assume the form of any living being, but will remain the same approximate size (no size change greater than 50 percent). They may use this power three times per day.
Hindrances / Augmentations:
Monstrous: with their slightly scaly, pock-marked flesh, not to mention their imposing size, cambion are perceived as unattractive (by both human and tanar'ri standards). A cambion is at Willpower 0 to prevent Edge 0 humans from fleeing at the mere sight of them - should it care to try.
Susceptibility: like all tanar'ri, cambion are weak against the use of cold-wrought iron weapons, as well as holy water and weapons. Their supernatural defenses are ineffective against such assaults, which inflict at least a quarter of a cambion's maximum Health in damage.
Magic Items (s): to make up for their lack of direct physical attack powers (their fangs notwithstanding), cambion carry weapons and armor to bolster their battle prowess. These implements are always spiky and menacing, and are often magical in nature.
These are most often low-level magical items, providing a +1 to hit and/or +1 to damage (weapons), or +1 Armor above and beyond the normal values offered by 'mundane' versions of such equipment. Of course, a rare few cambion have more powerful magical items on hand.
Lore (i): if they embrace magic as a supplement to their own power, cambion will possess dark knowledge. Their sorcerous education gives them great secrets and insights into the tanar'ri and the Abyss, and they should attempt Intellect actions of this type at a reduced difficulty.
Stealth (i): all cambion have the ability to move stealthily. Cambion wield this skill all too easily, inflicting an increased difficulty upon others' Willpower when they attempt to detect a cambion who is moving in the shadows, or is attempting to move silently.
Weapon Skill (s): cambion train rigorously in at least one weapon, even if they have sorcery to lean on. This will most often be an education in the use of whatever magical weapon(s) they possess, which they'll be able to use at one difficulty level lower than is usually necessary.
Tanar'ri, Cambion (Baron / Marquis)
There are theoretically an infinite amount of cambion in the Abyss, despite their not forming naturally. The descendants of true tanar'ri and mortals, baron / marquis cambion are almost exclusively evil entities, and possess a startling array of supernatural powers.
Powers (in addition to the above):
Charm (w): a rare few baron cambion the ability to charm a single target, per the spell of the same name. This skill lets them make temporary 'friends' if they pass an easy difficulty Charm (willpower) action at intensity 10, until either he attacks them or they can break free of it.
Outcast, with a liberal sprinkling of Vengeance: the countless cambion throughout the multiverse feel unwanted in their home, and they are right; mortals fear them and tanar'ri loathe them. Cambion are only too happy to indulge the rage this causes them when possible.
The teeming masses of cambion who populate the Abyss are spiteful and full of hatred, due to the fact that they feel outcast in both mortal planes and tanar'ri society. They tend to live a detached existence, being almost sociopathic towards all things.
Cambion are slightly taller than humans, and can grow to seven foot tall. They have ebon black skin, which has a slightly scaly appearance to it, along with serious pock-marks. Their ears are severely pointed, and they bear sharp, jagged fangs. They favor spiky armor and gear.
Like the alu-fiends, cambion come about purely through birth, being half-breeds produced by the pairing of tanar'ri and mortals. Similarly, they are disdained by those who have earned their station, but some are nonetheless respected for their ability as assassins.
There are two kinds of cambion, the major cambion and the baron / marquis. The former is the result of cross-breeding between lesser or greater tanar'ri and a mortal, while the latter is the result of a tryst between a true tanar'ri and a mortal, instead.
Baron or marquis cambion possess all the special powers of a major cambion, though their 'elite' parentage gives them greater natural ability, as well as a chance to possess the power to charm individuals if they are charismatic enough (25 percent chance).
* Depending on which version of the Planescape lore you wish to use, the cambion (along with the rest of the tanar'ri) may not have access to these powers any longer, having lost them due to yugoloth meddling. Their presence is at the discretion of the individual Narrator.
If you're not seeing this content within the technohol.com domain, it's been stolen by someone who doesn't respect others' work.