Manes are the weakest form of tanar'ri known. They are the form that particularly chaotic and evil petitioners take upon manifesting in the Abyss. While more powerful than larvae, they are nonetheless petitioners, and thus not considered 'real' tanar'ri by some scholars.
Tanar'ri Physique: though they are petitioners, manes share some characteristics of the tanar'ri race, and are considered its first 'stage' of existence. Though incredibly weak by tanar'ri standards, manes have their common abilities, including the following:
* Darkness: all tanar'ri have the ability to share the inherent darkness of their very souls with the world at large. This rudimentary power functions only at rank value 4, but basically 'blacks out' the sector a manes currently occupies (it works within Near range).
* Damage Reduction / Cold: though they are not immune to the effects of cold attacks, tanar'ri are considerably resistant to such. When exposed to any form of cold in its environment, a tanar'ri may reduce its intensity by 2 RS - applying this reduction even before other defenses.
* Damage Reduction / Magic: furthermore, most tanar'ri possess some degree of resistance to magical attacks, whether they come in the form of environmental effects, spells, or even magic items. Manes possess 1 RS protection against all forms of mystic assault.
* Dimensional Transit: in addition to being able to teleport, tanar'ri can transition themselves between planes of existence. They may do so with rank value 10 ability, though on a failed ACT roll dimensionally transiting tanar'ri may be subject to error, per a failed teleport. *
* Infravision: many of the Abyss' countless layers are dark beyond mortal ken, and have never seen the light (physically or otherwise). As such, all tanar'ri have evolved the ability to see by heat as well as by visible light, and can do so with rank value 10 ability.
* Invulnerability to Fire, Electricity, Heat, and Poison: the tanar'ri are hardy creatures - they have to be to survive at all in the endless, horrific wastes of the Abyss. Their forms have evolved over time to give them complete immunity to fire, electricity, heat, and poison.
* Teleportation: chaotic creatures all, the tanar'ri can bend space itself to their will. All tanar'ri possess the power to teleport with rank value 30 ability, and can avoid teleportation's usual side effects while transporting themselves within the same plane of existence. *
Claws: though physically weak, the manes do have several means with which to express their displeasure with the world - and their inner bile. The first such weapons are their long, hook-like nails, which they can use to inflict Slashing damage in melee.
Fangs: like their claws, manes are often more than ready to wield these physical weapons against anyone and anything that they see. These needle-like teeth inflict the same damage as a manes' claws, their Brawn rank value in Slashing damage, but are even more disgusting.
Immortality: manes are notoriously hard to kill. Expiring one will simply cause it to explode in a cloud of noxious, acidic vapor, which inflicts rank value 6 Metabolic damage upon those within ten feet of it when it dies. They then reform within 24 hours unless eaten whole (!)
Shrinking: manes do not possess this power in an active fashion, so much as it is an 'always on' situation describing their diminutive stature. They possess this 'power' at rank value 2, making them about three feet tall - and giving them a -1 size factor.
Limitations / Enhancements:
Susceptibility: like all tanar'ri, manes are weak against the use of cold-wrought iron weapons, as well as holy water and weapons. Their supernatural defenses are ineffective against such assaults, which inflict at least a quarter of a manes' maximum Health in damage.
Mace: when some foolish tanar'ri attempts to rally a horde of manes to fight in the Blood War or some other conflict, they usually give the manes a mace each, with which they can inflict their Brawn +1 RS in Bashing damage. Assuming they remember to bring it along.
Or how to use the thing.
Unattractive 3: manes are horrible, ugly little things. Looking almost dead and bloated, the malformed monsters ooze from the eyes and are covered in bugs and other carrion crawlers. This makes them suffer a -6 RS to reaction rolls, not that they usually care really.
Manes are creatures of chaos and evil incarnate, hatred and spite given form. They are also only semi-sentient, and unable to communicate with others. They can be directed by strong (or patient) enough entities, and will gleefully attack their enemies to the death (theirs or their foe's).
Manes are horrific. They are about three feet tall, with sickly, pale white skin that looks bloated. They possess hooked claws and needle-like teeth, milky white eyes that constantly ooze, and sparse hair - mostly on their head but some elsewhere, depending.
Manes are usually covered with a host of parasites and carrion creatures that literally feed upon their decrepit bodies.
Manes are the forms that petitioners take upon their arrival in the Abyss, if they're particularly chaotic and evil; those who are less so manifest as larvae instead. They are the primary food source in their new plane, as most everything there is stronger than manes are.
Of course, manes persist because there are simply so numerous; they are usually encountered in hoards of fifty or more on Abyssal plains. They are the tanar'ri's primary expendable soldiers in the Blood War, as while they're hard to steer at the baatezu, they're countless in number.
* Depending on which version of the Planescape lore you wish to use, the Manes (along with the rest of the tanar'ri) may not have access to these powers any longer, having lost them due to yugoloth meddling. Their presence is at the discretion of the individual Gamemaster.
If you're not seeing this content within the technohol.com domain, it's been stolen by someone who doesn't respect others' work.