As are all other modrons, the eighty one nonatons are extradimensional clockwork beings, hailing from the highly orderly plane of Mechanus. Their fantastic alien physiology is a bizarre blend of flesh and gears, and this, combined with their inherently magical nature, is the source of the nonatons' many and various ascendant powers.
Modron Physique: the children of Mechanus, the infinite masses of modrons are a potent blend of organism and mechanism. Modrons seamlessly combine the two diametric designs into a seamless whole, a feat which is made possible by their highly orderly, magically charged bodies. Nonatons are no exception to this rule, and have access to these powerful abilities as a result:
* Agelessness: all modrons, regardless of rank or station, are ageless in nature. Instead of having the longevity power, which implies an eventual lifespan, modrons simply do not age whatsoever. In fact, if not slain by accident or design, a modron may effectively live on forever, adopting new and more versatile forms as it ascends the ladder of law.
* Body Armor: both organic and inorganic in nature, all modrons have some manner of resistance to physical attacks. Essentially, the eighty one nonatons should be treated as having Typical (6) protection from physical attacks, and Feeble (2) protection from assaults of an energy-based nature. Not that they really need it, for only the most foolish of foes attempt to face a nonaton in melee combat.
* Clairsentience: all the modron high-ups have unbelievably acute sensory apparatus, allowing them to sense just about anything within the plane of existence they currently occupy. Distance isn't a factor, really, but simply knowing where they need to look / listen / taste / touch / smell is. This power functions for all nonatons at their Intuition rank (Remarkable (30)).
* Damage Reduction / Cold, Corrosion, and Fire Attacks: the modron physique is highly resistant, albeit not totally immune to, the effects of extreme cold, heat, and corrosives - this despite their partially metallic nature. They possess 2 CS of damage reduction against such attack forms, allowing them to maneuver in most hostile environs with relative ease - which comes in handy during the Modron March.
* Dimensional Transit: an offshoot of the hierarch modron's ability to teleport, this supernatural power allows a nonaton to transport itself to another plane of existence altogether. However, this power only works at Remarkable (30) rank, and has the risk of materializing the nonaton in solid matter unless it intimately knows the area it is traveling to. Thus, this power is normally used sparingly.
* Force Field: hierarch modrons have the ability to form a specialized force field in their immediate vicinity, in either a hemispherical or spherical form. Either way, this powerful force field acts as an Excellent (20) ranked barrier against incoming damage - even magical attacks! However, a determined opponent can teleport through it with ease. This field offers nonatons the following protection:
Gd 10 / Ex 20 / Ex 20 / Sh 0 / Sh 0
* Invulnerability to Emotion Control, Illusion, Mind Control, Paralysis / Sleep, and Vampirism: all modrons, especially the nonatons, are completely immune to these attack forms. As beings of ultimate order, they are able to shrug off such effects with ease - though they can readily perceive when such assaults are used (albeit unsuccessfully) against them.
* Mesmerism: though limited in scope, nonatons can use this mental power to great effect when confronted with non-modrons of any kind. This Remarkable (30) power allows them to force others that fail a Psyche FEAT roll versus its rank to obey any one word, non-suicidal command, regardless of the victim's wishes. This is a great tool for basic law enforcement.
* Resistance to Magic: modron hierarchs are resistant to magical powers, whether damaging or otherwise, though each brand of hierarch has a different level of immunity to such power. The nonaton, for instance, has Poor (4) resistance to sorcery. While this in no way makes nonatons immune to the stuff, it gives them a respectable edge against many of the empowered entities they encounter in battle.
* Telepathy: while all hierarch modrons have telepathy as a general matter of course, it must be noted that a nonaton can use it on non-modrons, as well as the regular targets of this ability. Being able to telepathically communicate with all sentient beings, in addition to 'mere' modrons, helps nonatons in their law enforcement duties considerably - despite this power's rank of Poor (4).
* Teleportation: hierarch modrons have the innate ability to teleport at will, with significant range. Operating at Unearthly (100) rank, this handy power allows them a vast range of movement, and while on Mechanus, a nonaton can teleport anywhere within the plane instantaneously. This allows them to monitor their charges, and any ongoing situations within their jurisdiction, with ease.
Additional Limbs / Tentacles: a nonaton has nine powerful, whip-thin tentacles, which it can readily bring to bear on its foes in battle. Thanks to an inherent talent with multiple attacks, nonatons can make up to four melee attacks in one turn, the last three of which will occur after everybody else has made their primary actions in said turn.
Adhesion: a nonaton can use this Remarkable (30) ranked power to bind an opponent in a mass of sticky web-like materials. This magically enhanced webbing will ensnare a target if the nonaton can hit them with a successful Agility attack roll, and once bound, said target cannot break free until he or she can pass a Strength FEAT roll versus this power rank.
Charm Sense: nonatons have the power to look at any being, sentient or not, and to see whether or not the person in question is under the sway of a charm of any sort, this being defined as any mind control, forced summoning, geas, or quest effect. This power works at Remarkable (30) rank, and helps to determine blame in more than a few legal situations.
Growth: depending on which artistic interpretation of the nonaton's anatomy you prefer, these beings may or may not possess this power. For those of you who choose the nine foot tall variation on a nonaton, they will possess this ability at Feeble (2) rank, mostly to denote their raw size compared to others. They still possess a size factor of zero (0), however.
Imaginary Doubles: oddly, nonatons wield this power at Good (10) rank, allowing them to generate up to ten false images of themselves at any given time. These illusory nonatons are quite convincing, and anybody targeting the nonaton will have equal odds of striking a false nonaton instead of the real one. Each false nonaton, once hit, disappears.
Lie Detection: when conversing with others, a nonaton has the power to determine whether or not it is being lied to. The falsehoods of others are laid bare before a nonaton unless they shield their thoughts, which requires a successful Psyche FEAT roll against this Remarkable (30) ranked power. Of course, this doesn't help to determine truth, at least not directly.
Philosophical Awareness: when looking at any sentient being, a nonaton has the ability to determine, if said being fails a Psyche FEAT roll against this Remarkable (30) ranked power, whether he or she leans towards an orderly, chaotic, good, evil, or balanced mindset. The nonatons' role as Mechanus' security force is greatly aided by this power.
Stunning Blast: this power allows a nonaton to neutralize (or at least seriously attempt to do so) a target within its vicinity. This handy power works at Remarkable (30) rank, and opponents struck by it suffer like Stunning damage, which is non-lethal, and fades after 1d10 turns. Of course, if a body is brought to zero health by this attack, he or she will still fall unconscious.
Time Control: nonatons wield this Feeble (2) ranked, yet incredibly dangerous power in a very limited fashion, one that basically allows them to wrap a target in a temporal bubble that seriously hinders their movement relative to others. Those within range of a nonaton when it activates this power may only act every other turn for the next 1d10 turns.
Schooling: Novice - Clerical Magic / Order
Nonatons are competent users of magic, evincing a priestly devotion to order itself. In addition to their considerable innate magical powers, nonatons may wield anywhere between one and four magic spells of this type, all functioning at Incredible (40) rank. Most of these should be determined before a given nonaton enters play, though one spell 'slot' may be kept in reserve for surprise's sake.
Limitations / Enhancements:
Fighting Logistics: nonatons, like all modrons, wield naturally organized minds. They can apply their inherent analytical tendencies to combat applications, sizing up a foe rather quickly. This allows them to add a +1 CS to all Fighting FEAT rolls made against a foe after 1d10 rounds (not turns), a bonus that lasts until said opponent radically changes his or her fighting style.
Law: more than anything else, the modrons are ultimate masters of law, knowing their own clockwork plane in and out. They extend this basic knowledge of What Should Be to all aspects of existence, and may attempt Reason FEATs based on orderly systems of any variety at a +1 CS, +2 CS if it involves their home plane, Mechanus, and +3 CS regarding Regulus itself.
Law Enforcement: as the second level of modron law enforcement, the nonatons are required to police the Mechanus for all manner of intruders and potential invasion armies. As such, they have the authority to detain or neutralize these beings as is necessary, and while they prefer trials for such chaotic folk, they will kill if the threat is extreme - though they'd rather try an offender instead.
Leadership: knowing how to spread resources around and delegate tasks like no other beings alive, nonatons all have this skill as a general matter of course. Any group they are currently leading receives a 100 point boost to their Karma pool - even if the nonaton is simply leading other nonatons. Their leadership leads to success in a given situation almost without fail.
Being charged with the task of maintaining the security of Regulus (and Mechanus itself, to a lesser extent), nonatons often come across as somewhat paranoid in their behavior, questioning any and all non-modrons they encounter. If they decide such visitors are a threat, they will happily expel or eradicate the source of danger to their home.
Nonaton appearance is a quandary, in that they have two possible forms, depending on artists' interpretations. The original portrays nonatons as large, nine foot tall cylindrical beings. Standing on three elephantine legs, the nonatons possess nine whip-like tentacles situated around the center of their steel plated bodies, and have the standard modron face.
A fleshy, vaguely humanoid face with one over-sized eye.
A second interpretation has the nonatons appearing like some sort of centipede, composed of nine metallic, spherical parts attached together by cog-like apparatus. The front sphere appears just like a monodrone (without the wings), and the creature has mechanical legs on its first, fifth, and ninth segments. A nonaton's tentacles issue forth from its mouth.
You know, the one described above.
Nonatons primarily serve as intermediaries between the octons, each of which controls one of Regulus' cogs, and the decatons who lord over the base modrons working on each cog. Sixty four of the nonatons serve in this role, eight more monitor the loyalties of the decaton-led armies of Mechanus, and the rest remain on the lookout for those who would disrupt order.