As are all other modrons, the sixty four octons are extradimensional clockwork beings, hailing from the highly orderly plane of Mechanus. Their fantastic alien physiology is a bizarre blend of flesh and gears, and this, combined with their inherently magical nature, is the source of the octons' many and various ascendant powers.
Modron Physique: the children of Mechanus, the infinite masses of modrons are a potent blend of organism and mechanism. Modrons seamlessly combine the two diametric designs into a seamless whole, a feat which is made possible by their highly orderly, magically charged bodies. Octons are no exception to this rule, and have access to these powerful abilities as a result:
* Agelessness: all modrons, regardless of rank or station, are ageless in nature. Instead of having the longevity power, which implies an eventual lifespan, modrons simply do not age whatsoever. In fact, if not slain by accident or design, a modron may effectively live on forever, adopting new and more versatile forms as it ascends the ladder of law.
* Body Armor: both organic and inorganic in nature, all modrons have some manner of resistance to physical attacks. Essentially, the sixty four octons should be treated as having rank value 6 protection from physical attacks, and rank value 2 protection from assaults of an energy-based nature. Of course, only a fool - or an incredibly powerful combatant - would stand up to an octon in melee combat.
* Clairsentience: all the modron high-ups have unbelievably acute sensory apparatus, allowing them to sense just about anything within the plane of existence they currently occupy. Distance isn't a factor, really, but simply knowing where they need to look / listen / taste / touch / smell is. This power functions for octons at their Awareness rank value (40).
* Damage Reduction / Cold, Corrosion, and Fire Attacks: the modron physique is highly resistant, albeit not totally immune to, the effects of extreme cold, heat, and corrosives - this despite their partially metallic nature. They possess 2 RS of damage reduction against such attack forms, allowing them to maneuver in most hostile environs with relative ease - which comes in handy during the Modron March.
* Dimensional Transit: an offshoot of the hierarch modron's ability to teleport, this supernatural power allows an octon to transport itself to another plane of existence altogether. However, this power only works at rank value 30, and has the risk of materializing the octon in solid matter unless it intimately knows the area it is traveling to. Thus, this power is normally used sparingly.
* Force Field: hierarch modrons have the ability to form a specialized force field in their immediate vicinity, in either a hemispherical or spherical form. Either way, this powerful force field acts as a rank value 20 barrier against incoming damage - even magical attacks! However, a determined opponent can teleport through it with ease. This field offers octons the following protection:
RV 10 / RV 20 / RV 20 / RV 0 / RV 0
* Invulnerability to Emotion Control, Illusion, Mind Control, Paralysis / Sleep, and Vampirism: all modrons, especially the sixty four octons, are completely immune to these attack forms. As beings of ultimate order, they are able to shrug off such effects with ease - though they can readily perceive when such assaults are used (albeit unsuccessfully) against them.
* Mesmerism: though limited in scope, hierarch modrons can use this mental power to great effect when confronted with non-modrons of any kind. Working at Remarkable (30) rank, this power allows the octons to force others that fail a Willpower ACT roll versus this rank to obey any one word, non-suicidal command, regardless of the victim's wishes. This helps octons maintain order in the face of obstinate non-modrons
* Resistance to Magic: modron hierarchs are resistant to magical powers, whether damaging or otherwise, though each brand of hierarch has a different level of immunity to such power. For instance, the octon has rank value 6 resistance to sorcery. While this does not make them immune to the use of anomalous energies against them, this power lends octons a considerable edge against most empowered combatants.
* Telepathy: all modron hierarchs can telepathically contact modrons they can normally converse with at all times. Octons, for instance, wield this power at rank value 6, at least where other modrons are concerned. As such, they may achieve mind to mind contact with their nonaton inferiors, their octon peers, and their septon superiors, pretty much at will.
* Teleportation: hierarch modrons have the innate ability to teleport at will, with significant range. Operating at rank value 100, this handy power allows them a vast range of movement, and while on Mechanus, an octon can teleport anywhere within the plane instantaneously. This allows octons to monitor their charges, and any ongoing situations within their jurisdiction, with ease.
Additional Limbs / Tentacles: an octon has eight powerful, whip-thin tentacles, which it can readily bring to bear on its foes in battle. Thanks to an inherent talent with multiple attacks, octons can make up to four melee attacks in one turn, the last three of which will occur after everybody else has made their primary actions in said turn.
Flight: thanks to a peculiar, cog-like collar resting at shoulder level on the octon body, they can all fly about by sucking air (or water, if it is under water) into the collar and then ejecting it out the other side, almost as though it were a built-in propeller. This flight (or super-swimming, if submerged) works at rank value 4, or at approximately 54.55 miles per hour.
Philosophical Awareness: when looking at any sentient being, a nonaton has the ability to determine, if said being fails a Willpower ACT roll against this rank value 30 power, whether he or she leans towards an orderly, chaotic, good, evil, or balanced mindset. The octons' role as the administrators of Regulus' sixty four cogs is greatly aided by this power.
Super Speed: octons all possess this power at rank value 2, which basically allows them to double their operating speed (they can move about at around 45 miles per hour if necessary). Furthermore, an octon can use this power to achieve even more multiple attacks than they already wield, making them exceptionally dangerous in battle.
Telekinesis: octons have the ability to manipulate objects in their environment without touching them. Using this power at rank value 40, octons can lift and move an object within their line of sight with similar strength. Octons can also use this power to support their heavy bodies on water; this isn't flight, or even levitation, but just water walking.
Schooling: Disciple - Clerical Magic / Order
Octons are competent users of magic, evincing a priestly devotion to order itself. In addition to their considerable innate magical powers, octons may wield anywhere between five and eight magic spells of this type, all functioning at rank value 40. Most of these should be determined before a given octon enters play, though one or two spell 'slots' may be kept in reserve for surprise's sake.
Limitations / Enhancements:
Fighting Logistics: octons, like all modrons, wield naturally organized minds. They can apply their inherent analytical tendencies to combat applications, sizing up a foe rather quickly. This allows them to add a +1 RS to all Melee ACT rolls made against a foe after 1d10 rounds (not turns), a bonus that lasts until said opponent radically changes his or her fighting style.
Gigantism: while they're not so huge that they warrant the growth power, octons are rather tall. Standing at exactly eight feet tall, octons primarily function just like ordinary humans where combat is concerned, but can only utilize equipment, when they bother to do so, which is especially made for beings of their stature.
Law: more than anything else, the modrons are ultimate masters of law, knowing their own clockwork plane in and out. They extend this basic knowledge of What Should Be to all aspects of existence, and may attempt Intellect ACTs based on orderly systems of any variety at a +1 RS, +2 RS if it involves their home plane, Mechanus, and +3 RS regarding Regulus itself.
Leadership: knowing how to spread resources around and delegate tasks like no other beings alive, octons all have this skill as a general matter of course. Any group they are currently leading receives a 100 point boost to their Fortune pool - even if the octon is simply leading other octons. Their leadership leads to success in a given situation almost without fail.
Lordly and majestic (as most hierarch modrons are), the octons feel great responsibility for the individual cogs that they oversee. The odd creatures do everything they can to maintain the proper order on their small portion of Mechanus, and are more than willing to send vast forces of modrons against anything the nonatons tell them is a serious threat.
The octon primarily appears as a rectangular steel block, eight feet tall, that walks on two mechanical legs and is wrapped within a large steel collar. This collar has bulges on the corners, each of which hold two of the octon's tentacles. Octons have the standard modron 'fleshy' face (but with two eyes) on the front side of their bodies.
Though the decatons manage the various base modrons that inhabit each of Regulus' 64 cogs, it is the 64 octons who actually rule each piece of the modrons' realm. Via nonaton messengers, the octons make directives to the various base modrons, which (though the decatons see to them directly) the octons perceive to be their charges.
If you're not seeing this content within the technohol.com domain, it's been stolen by someone who doesn't respect others' work.