As is every other modron, all sixteen of the quartons are extradimensional clockwork beings, hailing from the highly orderly plane of Mechanus. Their fantastic alien physiology is a bizarre blend of flesh and gears, and this, combined with their inherently magical nature, is the source of the quartons' many and various ascendant powers.
Modron Physique: the children of Mechanus, the infinite masses of modrons are a potent blend of organism and mechanism. Modrons seamlessly combine the two diametric designs into a seamless whole, a feat which is made possible by their highly orderly, magically charged bodies. Quartons are no exception to this rule, and have access to these powerful abilities as a result:
* Agelessness (s): all modrons, regardless of rank or station, are ageless in nature. Instead of having the longevity power, which implies an eventual lifespan, modrons simply do not age whatsoever. In fact, if not slain by accident or design, a modron may effectively live on forever, adopting new and more versatile forms as it ascends the ladder of law.
* Body Armor (s): both organic and inorganic in nature, all modrons have some manner of resistance to physical attacks. Essentially, a quarton should be treated as having intensity 4 (+1) protection from attacks of a conventional sort. Though administrative in purpose, the quartons are more than capable of holding their own in melee.
* Clairsentience (w): the modron high-ups have unbelievably acute sensory apparatus, allowing them to perceive anything within the plane they currently occupy. Distance isn't a factor, but simply knowing where to look / listen / taste / touch / smell is. This power functions for quartons at intensity 10, allowing them an unheard of awareness of their surroundings.
* Dimensional Transit (i): an offshoot of the hierarch modron's ability to teleport, this supernatural power allows a quarton to transport itself to another plane of existence altogether. However, this power only works at intensity 10, and has the risk of materializing the quarton in solid matter unless it intimately knows the area it is traveling to. Thus, this power is normally used sparingly.
* Force Field (i): hierarch modrons have the ability to form a specialized force field in their immediate vicinity, in either a hemispherical or spherical form. Either way, this force field acts as an intensity 10 barrier against any incoming damage - even magical attacks! However, a determined opponent can teleport through it with ease, but then, that's what a quarton's other powers are for.
* Invulnerability to Emotion Control, Illusion, Mind Control, Paralysis / Sleep, and Vampirism (s): all modrons, especially the sixteen quartons, are completely immune to these attack forms. As beings of ultimate order, they are able to shrug off such effects with ease - though they can readily perceive when such assaults are used (albeit unsuccessfully) against them.
* Mesmerism (w): though limited in scope, hierarch modrons can use this to great effect when confronted with non-modrons. Working at intensity 10, this power allows a quarton to attempt an easy difficulty Mesmerism action (opposed by the target's Willpower score). If successful, this action lets a quarton force its opponent to execute (or at least attempt) a one word command.
* Resistance to Acid, Cold, and Fire attacks (s): the modron physique is highly resistant, albeit not totally immune to, the effects of extreme cold, heat, and corrosives - this despite their partially metallic nature. They possess intensity 4 (+1) damage reduction against such attack forms, allowing them to maneuver in most hostile environs with relative ease - which comes in handy during the Modron March.
* Resistance to Magic (s): modron hierarchs are resistant to magical powers, whether damaging or otherwise, though each brand of hierarch has a different level of immunity to such power. The quarton, for instance, has intensity 21 (+5) resistance to sorcery. This serves to give them considerable protection from attacks by adventurers or other meddlers who interfere with their rule.
* Telepathy (w): all modron hierarchs can telepathically contact modrons they can normally converse with at all times. Quartons, for instance, wield this power at intensity 14, at least where other modrons are concerned. As such, they may achieve mind to mind contact with their quinton inferiors, their quarton peers, and their tertian superiors, pretty much at will.
* Teleportation (i): all hierarch modrons have the innate ability to teleport at will, transporting themselves to just about any place they know of within their current plane of existence. This essentially translates into intensity 20 teleportation, and quartons using this power have no chance whatsoever of materializing in a solid object - this supernatural power is that precise!
Additional Limbs / Arms (a): the incredibly rare quartons of Mechanus are equipped with four distinct arms. These redundant appendages allow quartons an extra melee attack each exchange, if they resort to such base combat. Though again, while quartons are often discounted as serious foes due to their more administrative purpose, they can more than readily dish out hand to hand pain.
Flight (a): like many of the other hierarch modrons, quartons are blessed with the use of two large, metallic wings that are joined together at their shoulders. These chrome, fanlike wings allow a quarton to fly with intensity 5 speed, moving about at approximately one hundred eighty miles per hour. When not in use, these huge wings can fold together nicely.
Growth (a): while humanoid, unlike the vast majority of modrons, quartons will never be mistaken for beings such as you or I. This is because they are simply immense, standing at precisely twelve feet tall. This towering stature provides quartons the growth power, at intensity 2, to describe this difference in height. Thus, in combat, a quarton possesses a +2 size factor, which both helps and hinders them simultaneously.
Schooling: Master - Clerical Magic / Order
Quartons are incredibly versatile users of orderly magic, wielding it at intensity 17. This sorcery is of a priestly nature, however, venerating the power of law above all else. Quartons can wield at least thirteen magical spells of this type, and most spells a given quarton will possess should be determined in advance. They can keep two or three spell 'slots' in reserve, however, if desired.
Hindrances / Augmentations:
Law (i): more than anything else, the modrons are ultimate masters of law, knowing their own clockwork plane in and out. They extend this basic knowledge of What Should Be to all aspects of existence, and should make any Intellect action based on the knowledge of orderly systems at one difficulty level lower than normal, using either Intellect or Willpower if regarding Mechanus, and with an autotrump concerning Regulus.
Leadership (w): knowing how to spread resources around and delegate tasks like no other beings alive, all quartons have this skill as a general matter of course. If they can pass an average difficulty Willpower action, these modrons can add a +1 to the action scores of anybody they lead. If the modron loses its ability to lead, however, this bonus turns into a -1 penalty.
Repair / Tinkering (a): furthermore, in their capacity as the caretakers of Mechanus (as far as they are concerned, at least), modrons have a preternatural knowledge of mechanical systems. In addition to allowing them to keep the gears of their home plane running smoothly, this skill doubles as an effective first aid skill for modrons, letting them utilize basic medicinal skills on their brethren.
Soldier: more so than any other beings in the multiverse, modrons live to further the influence of law and order. They follow the orders of their superiors instinctively, for to do otherwise is incomprehensible. While this calling sounds more militant than modrons really are, it should be noted that they are virtual exemplars of the soldier mindset.
Quartons are supremely logical beings, and detest being bothered by those sentient entities that are not as perfectly logical as themselves (read: non-modrons). They prefer to leave such chaotic beings to their underlings to be dealt with, but this is not always possible, since all manner of beings visit Mechanus on a regular basis.
Quartons are simply huge in appearance, towering over mere mortals, and stand at twelve feet tall. Furthermore, they have four powerful arms that they may bring to bear on anyone foolish enough to irk their ire, and large, metallic wings that are joined together at the shoulder. Like quintons, quartons also have a large, 'built-in' metallic helmet, too.
The sixteen quartons of Mechanus are charged with the management of the sixteen regions of Regulus, each region being four full cogs. Occasionally, one quarton will assist in the translation of orders from tertians to quintons in either the towers of the secundus or Primus itself, but otherwise, all they do is manage their respective territories as efficiently as possible.
It should be noted that, in addition to their own considerable powers, a quarton is guarded at all times by 36 fanatical pentadrones. These lesser beings may not be able to tell just what it is that they are protecting, due to the curious modron mindset, but they will gladly give their lives to keep this (in their eyes) inexplicable being from harm of any type.
If you're not seeing this content within the technohol.com domain, it's been stolen by someone who doesn't respect others' work.