As is every other modron, all sixteen of the quartons are extradimensional clockwork beings, hailing from the highly orderly plane of Mechanus. Their fantastic alien physiology is a bizarre blend of flesh and gears, and this, combined with their inherently magical nature, is the source of the quartons' many and various ascendant powers.
Modron Physique: the children of Mechanus, the infinite masses of modrons are a potent blend of organism and mechanism. Modrons seamlessly combine the two diametric designs into a seamless whole, a feat which is made possible by their highly orderly, magically charged bodies. Quartons are no exception to this rule, and have access to these powerful abilities as a result:
* Agelessness: all modrons, regardless of rank or station, are ageless in nature. Instead of having the longevity power, which implies an eventual lifespan, modrons simply do not age whatsoever. In fact, if not slain by accident or design, a modron may effectively live on forever, adopting new and more versatile forms as it ascends the ladder of law.
* Body Armor: both organic and inorganic in nature, all modrons have some manner of resistance to physical attacks. Essentially, all sixteen quartons extant at any given time should be treated as having Typical (6) protection from physical attacks, and Feeble (2) protection from assaults of an energy-based nature. Though administrative in purpose, quartons are more than capable of holding their own in melee.
* Clairsentience: all the modron high-ups have unbelievably acute sensory apparatus, allowing them to perceive just about anything within the plane of existence they currently occupy. Distance isn't a factor, really, but simply knowing where they need to look / listen / taste / touch / smell is. This power functions for all quartons at their Intuition rank (Monstrous (75)).
* Damage Reduction / Cold, Corrosion, and Fire Attacks: the modron physique is highly resistant, albeit not totally immune to, the effects of extreme cold, heat, and corrosives - this despite their partially metallic nature. They possess 2 CS of damage reduction against such attack forms, allowing them to maneuver in most hostile environs with relative ease - which comes in handy during the Modron March.
* Dimensional Transit: an offshoot of the hierarch modron's ability to teleport, this supernatural power allows a quarton to transport itself to another plane of existence altogether. However, this power only works at Remarkable (30) rank, and has the risk of materializing the quarton in solid matter unless it intimately knows the area it is traveling to. Thus, this power is normally used sparingly.
* Force Field: hierarch modrons have the ability to form a specialized force field in their immediate vicinity, in either a hemispherical or spherical form. Either way, this powerful force field acts as an Excellent (20) ranked barrier against incoming damage - even magical attacks! However, a determined opponent can teleport through it with ease. This field offers quartons the following protection:
Gd 10 / Ex 20 / Ex 20 / Sh 0 / Sh 0
* Invulnerability to Emotion Control, Illusion, Mind Control, Paralysis / Sleep, and Vampirism: all modrons, especially the quartons, are completely immune to these attack forms. As beings of ultimate order, they are able to shrug off such effects with ease - though they can readily perceive when such assaults are used (albeit unsuccessfully) against them.
* Mesmerism: though limited in scope, hierarch modrons can use this mental power to great effect when confronted with non-modrons of any kind. Working at Remarkable (30) rank, this power allows quartons to force others that fail a Psyche FEAT roll versus this rank to obey any one word, non-suicidal command, regardless of the victim's wishes. This helps quartons to easily handle those who interfere with their rule.
* Resistance to Magic: modron hierarchs are resistant to magical powers, whether damaging or otherwise, though each brand of hierarch has a different level of immunity to such power. For instance, the quarton has Incredible (40) resistance to sorcery. This massive resistance has the effect of funneling foes into conventional combat with them, which most often means their doom against a quarton.
* Telepathy: all modron hierarchs can telepathically contact modrons they may normally converse with at all times. Quartons, for instance, wield this power at Incredible (40) rank, at least where other modrons are concerned. As such, they may achieve mind to mind contact with their quinton inferiors, their quarton peers, and their tertian superiors, pretty much at will.
* Teleportation: hierarch modrons have the innate ability to teleport at will, with significant range. Operating at Unearthly (100) rank, this handy power allows them a vast range of movement, and while on Mechanus, a quarton can teleport anywhere within the plane instantaneously. This allows them to monitor their charges, and any ongoing situations within their jurisdiction, with ease.
Additional Limbs / Arms: the incredibly rare quartons of Mechanus are equipped with four distinct arms. These redundant appendages allow quartons an extra melee attack each turn, if they resort to such base combat. Though again, while quartons are often discounted as serious foes due to their more administrative purpose, they can more than readily dish out hand to hand pain.
Flight: like many other hierarch modrons, the quartons are blessed with the use of two exceptionally large, metallic wings that are joined together at their shoulders. These chrome, fanlike wings allow a quarton to fly with Excellent (20) speed, which translates into approximately one hundred fifty miles per hour. When not in use, these wings can fold together nicely.
Growth: while humanoid, unlike the vast majority of modrons, quartons will never be mistaken for beings such as you or I. This is because they are simply immense, standing at precisely twelve feet tall. This towering stature provides quartons the growth power, at Poor (4) rank, to describe this difference in height. Thus, in combat, a quarton possesses a +1 size factor, which both helps and hinders them simultaneously.
Schooling: Master - Clerical Magic / Order
Quartons are incredibly versatile users of orderly magic, wielding it at Amazing (50) rank. This sorcery is of a priestly nature, however, venerating the power of law above all else. Quartons can wield at least thirteen magical spells of this type, and most spells a given quarton will possess should be determined in advance. They can keep two or three spell 'slots' in reserve, however, if desired.
Limitations / Enhancements:
Fighting Logistics: quartons, like all modrons, wield naturally organized minds. They can apply their inherent analytical tendencies to combat applications, sizing up a foe rather quickly. This allows them to add a +1 CS to all Fighting FEAT rolls made against a foe after 1d10 rounds (not turns), a bonus that lasts until said opponent radically changes his or her fighting style.
Talents (in addition to common Hierarch Modron talents):
Law: more than anything else, the modrons are ultimate masters of law, knowing their own clockwork plane in and out. They extend this basic knowledge of What Should Be to all aspects of existence, and may attempt Reason FEATs based on orderly systems of any variety at a +1 CS, +2 CS if it involves their home plane, Mechanus, and +3 CS regarding Regulus itself.
Leadership: knowing how to spread resources around and delegate tasks like no other beings alive, quartons all have this skill as a general matter of course. Any group they are currently leading receives a 100 point boost to their Karma pool - even if the hierarch is simply leading other hierarchs. Their leadership leads to success in a given situation almost without fail.
Quartons are supremely logical beings, and detest being bothered by those sentient entities that are not as perfectly logical as themselves (read: non-modrons). They prefer to leave such chaotic beings to their underlings to be dealt with, but this is not always possible, since all manner of beings visit Mechanus on a regular basis.
Quartons are simply huge in appearance, towering over mere mortals, and stand at twelve feet tall. Furthermore, they have four powerful arms that they may bring to bear on anyone foolish enough to irk their ire, and large, metallic wings that are joined together at the shoulder. Like quintons, quartons also have a large, 'built-in' metallic helmet, too.
The sixteen quartons of Mechanus are charged with the management of the sixteen regions of Regulus, each region being four full cogs. Occasionally, one quarton will assist in the translation of orders from tertians to quintons in either the towers of the secundus or Primus itself, but otherwise, all they do is manage their respective territories as efficiently as possible.
It should be noted that, in addition to their own considerable powers, a quarton is guarded at all times by 36 fanatical pentadrones. These lesser beings may not be able to tell just what it is that they are protecting, due to the curious modron mindset, but they will gladly give their lives to keep this (in their eyes) inexplicable being from harm of any type.
If you're not seeing this content within the technohol.com domain, it's been stolen by someone who doesn't respect others' work.