As are all other modrons, the twenty-five quintons are extradimensional clockwork beings, hailing from the highly orderly plane of Mechanus. Their fantastic alien physiology is a bizarre blend of flesh and gears, and this, combined with their inherently magical nature, is the source of the quintons' many and various ascendant powers.
Modron Physique: the children of Mechanus, the infinite masses of modrons are a potent blend of organism and mechanism. Modrons seamlessly combine the two diametric designs into a seamless whole, a feat which is made possible by their highly orderly, magically charged bodies. Quintons are no exception to this rule, and have access to these powerful abilities as a result:
* Agelessness: all modrons, regardless of rank or station, are ageless in nature. Instead of having the longevity power, which implies an eventual lifespan, modrons simply do not age whatsoever. In fact, if not slain by accident or design, a modron may effectively live on forever, adopting new and more versatile forms as it ascends the ladder of law.
* Body Armor: both organic and inorganic in nature, all modrons have some manner of resistance to physical attacks. Essentially, all twenty-five quintons should be treated as having Typical (6) protection from physical attacks, and Feeble (2) protection from assaults of an energy-based nature. Though academic in purpose, the quintons are more than able to stand up to almost anyone in melee.
* Clairsentience: all the modron high-ups have unbelievably acute sensory apparatus, allowing them to perceive just about anything within the plane of existence they currently occupy. Distance isn't a factor, really, but simply knowing where they need to look / listen / taste / touch / smell is. This power functions for all quintons at their Intuition rank (Amazing (50)).
* Damage Reduction / Cold, Corrosion, and Fire Attacks: the modron physique is highly resistant, albeit not totally immune to, the effects of extreme cold, heat, and corrosives - this despite their partially metallic nature. They possess 2 CS of damage reduction against such attack forms, allowing them to maneuver in most hostile environs with relative ease - which comes in handy during the Modron March.
* Dimensional Transit: an offshoot of the hierarch modron's ability to teleport, this supernatural power allows a quinton to transport itself to another plane of existence altogether. However, this power only works at Remarkable (30) rank, and has the risk of materializing the quinton in solid matter unless it intimately knows the area it is traveling to. Thus, this power is normally used sparingly.
* Force Field: hierarch modrons have the ability to form a specialized force field in their immediate vicinity, in either a hemispherical or spherical form. Either way, this powerful force field acts as an Excellent (20) ranked barrier against incoming damage - even magical attacks! However, a determined opponent can teleport through it with ease. This field offers quintons the following protection:
Gd 10 / Ex 20 / Ex 20 / Sh 0 / Sh 0
* Invulnerability to Emotion Control, Illusion, Mind Control, Paralysis / Sleep, and Vampirism: all modrons, especially the quintons, are completely immune to these attack forms. As beings of ultimate order, they are able to shrug off such effects with ease - though they can readily perceive when such assaults are used (albeit unsuccessfully) against them.
* Mesmerism: though limited in scope, hierarch modrons can use this mental power to great effect when confronted with non-modrons of any kind. Working at Remarkable (30) rank, this power allows quintons to force others that fail a Psyche FEAT roll versus this rank to obey any one word, non-suicidal command, regardless of the victim's wishes. This helps quintons to easily handle those who interfere with their duties.
* Resistance to Magic: modron hierarchs are resistant to magical powers, whether damaging or otherwise, though each brand of hierarch has a different level of immunity to such power. For instance, the quinton has Remarkable (30) resistance to sorcery. This serves to give them considerable protection from attacks by adventurers or other meddlers who hunger for the knowledge they unearth and protect.
* Telepathy: all modron hierarchs can telepathically contact modrons they may normally converse with at all times. Quintons, for instance, wield this power at Remarkable (30) rank, at least where other modrons are concerned. As such, they may achieve mind to mind contact with their hexton inferiors, their quinton peers, and their quarton superiors, pretty much at will.
* Teleportation: hierarch modrons have the innate ability to teleport at will, with significant range. Operating at Unearthly (100) rank, this handy power allows them a vast range of movement, and while on Mechanus, a quinton can teleport anywhere within the plane instantaneously. This allows them to monitor their charges, and any ongoing situations within their jurisdiction, with ease.
Additional Limbs / Arms: in addition to their prehensile tail, quintons are equipped with four distinct arms. These redundant appendages allow quintons an extra melee attack each turn, if they resort to such base combat. Though again, while quintons are often discounted as serious foes due to their sagely purpose, they can more than readily dish out hand-to-hand pain.
Flight: like many other hierarch modrons, the quintons are blessed with the use of two large, metallic wings that are joined together at their shoulders. These chrome, fanlike wings allow a quinton to fly with Good (10) speed, moving about at approximately one hundred twenty miles per hour. When not in use, these handily ergonomic wings can fold together nicely.
Growth: the quintons are quite tall. Standing at exactly ten feet high, they tend to tower over lesser modrons, and most other individuals they come across in the course of their duties. As such, quintons technically have this power at Feeble (2) rank, in an always on sort of fashion. While impressive, however, this stature still ensures that quintons retain a size factor of zero (0).
Macro Sense: quintons have a specialized form of this power that allows them to glean information that would not otherwise be apparent about a person, place, or thing. This power functions at Amazing (50) rank, allowing quintons to pretty much learn all they need to about anyone or anything - especially threats to their precious order.
Philosophical Awareness: when looking at anybody, a quinton has the ability to determine, if he, she, or it fails a Psyche FEAT roll against this power's rank of Remarkable (30), whether they lean towards an orderly, chaotic, good, evil, or balanced mindset. This helps to prevent quintons from giving non-orderly beings dangerous information.
Prehensile Tail: rather than possessing a fifth arm, as do the countless, teeming masses of pentadrones, quintons instead have a prehensile tail. Thanks to this additional appendage, quintons may attempt an extra melee attack in a given turn, as long as this extremity is utilized. While most often unarmed, a quinton may also wield a weapon with this fully dexterous tail, as well.
Schooling: Adept - Clerical Magic / Order
Quintons are competent wielders of magic, doing so at Amazing (50) rank. These spells are of a priestly nature, though, venerating the power of order above all else. Quintons can wield between nine and twelve magical spells of this type, and most spells a given quinton will possess should be determined in advance. They can keep one or two spell 'slots' in reserve, however, if desired.
Limitations / Enhancements:
Fighting Logistics: quintons, like all modrons, wield naturally organized minds. They can apply their inherent analytical tendencies to combat applications, sizing up a foe rather quickly. This allows them to add a +1 CS to all Fighting FEAT rolls attempted against a foe after 1d10 rounds (not turns), a bonus that lasts until said opponent radically changes his or her fighting style.
Law: more than anything else, the modrons are ultimate masters of law, knowing their own clockwork plane in and out. They extend this basic knowledge of What Should Be to all aspects of existence, and may attempt Reason FEATs based on orderly systems of any variety at a +1 CS, +2 CS if it involves their home plane, Mechanus, and +3 CS regarding Regulus itself.
Leadership: knowing how to spread resources around and delegate tasks like no other beings alive, quintons all have this skill as a general matter of course. Any group they are currently leading receives a 100 point boost to their Karma pool - even if the hierarch is simply leading other hierarchs. Their leadership leads to success in a given situation almost without fail.
Lore 3: as the keepers of the great base of modron knowledge, the quintons have this skill as a general matter of course. As the twenty-five quintons know just about everything the modrons as a whole have learned about the multiverse, they benefit from a +3 CS to their Reason scores whenever attempting to utilize this talent. These guys know just about everything concerning... everything, when you get down to it.
Knowledgeable and scholarly beyond measure, the quintons could be thought of as the quintessential sage, knowing all manner of things about, well, everything - from modron society to the multiverse in general. If there's a question a body has about anything, ask a quinton. They are more than happy to divulge facts to others, especially those concerning law and order.
Relatively gigantic, standing at ten feet tall, quintons look rather similar to humans in appearance. Close, that is, if you discount the huge, metallic wings, the prehensile tail, the excess arms, the 'built-in' steel helmet and large, clunky boot-like metal feet. Furthermore, as a symbol of their station, quintons have a large diamond issuing forth from their foreheads.
The record keepers and protectors of modron lore, quintons are assigned numerous duties throughout the realm of Regulus. Sixteen of them serve in the regional control towers of the quartons, four serve in the towers of the secundus, and the remaining five act as translators for lesser modrons serving in the tower of Primus itself.
Interested in using Technoholic content in your own project? Please read this beforehand!