* See Skills, below.
As are his fellow Autobots, Hot Rod is an electromechanical entity of Cybertronian origin, a sentient robot that strives to prevent the Decepticon domination of all. However, he can also be considered a little bit... more, thanks to his 'Targetmaster' union with the Nebulan, Firebolt.
Cybertronian Physique: like his fellow Autobots, Hot Rod is a robotic entity of Cybertronian design and origin. As such, this impulsive, would-be hero has by his very nature the use of a large variety of abilities that reflect this. His very body gives Hot Rod these super-human powers:
* Body Armor (s): like most Cybertronians, Hot Rod was built (or formed) with a reinforced steel frame, one that offers him intensity 8 (+2) resistance to injury. This makes him resistant to most basic human attack forms, and moderately resistant to his fellow robots.
* Growth (a): Cybertronians come in all manner of sizes, few of which align with the human norm. Hot Rod, for instance, generally stands at eighteen feet tall in his humanoid mode, which grants him this power at intensity 4 as a general matter of course.
As such, this Autobot possesses a +4 size factor. This grants him a +4 bonus to the damage he inflicts on normal sized foes, while theirs suffers a -4 against him. Conversely, he suffers a -4 penalty to strike standard sized enemies in the first place, while they gain a +4 to hit him.
* Microscopic / Telescopic Vision (w): all Transformers have the ability to alter their visual sensitivity where distance is concerned. Functioning at intensity 2, these powers let them see objects up to a mile distant with ease, as well as allowing them to read items on microfiche.
* Resistance / Invulnerability to Disease and Poison: as an inorganic life form, Hot Rod possesses complete immunity to poisons and organic diseases. He also possesses intensity 32 (+10) resistance to more chemically creative forms of disease.
Circular Saw (s): when in need for some sort of cutting implement, Hot Rod can retract his left hand, and replace it with a spinning saw-blade. This blade is of material strength 20, and can be used to cut through items of like m.s., or to inflict his Strength +3 in cutting damage.
Gestalt (a): during his time on the planet Nebulos, Hot Rod developed a 'binary bond' with one of the native sentient humanoids by allowing him to be implanted into one of his weapons. By using this native, Firebolt, as his primary weapon, Hot Rod is apparently enhanced considerably.
Most of this power comes from the simple fact that Firebolt's energy discharges are much more powerful than Hot Rod's laser guns. However, it seems that binary bonding with organic beings causes a change, a transformation among Cybertronians, as happened with Optimus Prime.
Whether this evolution occurs with 'Targetmasters' (such as Hot Rod) as it does with 'Powermasters' (such as Optimus Prime) has yet to be revealed. However, since Firebolt was gone by the time Hot Rod changed into Rodimus Prime, it may have indeed occurred.
Unless Firebolt left Hot Rod's side... or was destroyed. Either way, while using Firebolt as his primary weapon, Hot Rod receives a +4 to hit foes - in addition to his Advanced Guns skill bonus. This alone is encouragement enough to do so, even before Firebolt's impressive firepower.
Light Generation (i): Hot Rod has the ability to fire powerful laser beams from his chromed exhaust pipes in his humanoid mode, which rest on the outside of his wrists. These beams inflict intensity 10 Armor Piercing energy damage with each deadly blast.
Alternately, to better emulate earthen vehicles (and since they come in handy in the dark), Hot Rod is equipped with a set of convenient headlights. These twin lamps can be used to generate intensity 4 illumination, making driving at night no problem.
Shape Change (a): Hot Rod's most infamous power, this ability allows him to switch between two forms - either his normal, humanoid shape, or that of a sleek, futuristic 'hot rod', at will. In his vehicular form, Hot Rod moves at up to intensity 8 speed!
Now, Hot Rod can achieve speeds of up to 330 miles per hour if necessary, though this is severely draining on his energy reserves (limiting his maximum range to a 'mere' 150 miles). Optimally, he settles on speeds ranging around 120 miles per hour (giving him a total range of 400 miles).
Hindrances / Augmentations:
Laser Pistols (i): Hot Rod carries two laser pistols that he can fire to create, within the electronics of a foe, a sort of 'electromagnetic flux'. This has the effect of stunning robots or vehicles with intensity 13 power. These pistols are stored in a subspace pocket when not in use.
Advanced Guns (a): Hot Rod has shown an impressive mastery of most advanced, energy-casting firearms - he uses them to devastating effect against the Decepticons. As such, when wielding them (or even Firebolt), he should do so at a reduced difficulty level.
Astronaut (a): on several occasions, Hot Rod has shown that he is a competent pilot of various spacecraft - even surviving the various wrecks and crashes that he has been a party to. When flying such a vehicle, he can make any necessary flight actions at a reduced difficulty level.
Physics / Nuclear Physics 3 (i): assuming some sort of merger between Hot Rod and Firebolt indeed took place, it is likely that Hot Rod absorbed Firebolt's considerable skill in this area. If so, he should receive an autotrump regarding nuclear physics actions.
Though he's a younger Autobot, Hot Rod has proven himself time and time again in battle - even if he caused most of the messes he's gotten himself into. As such, he can readily rely upon the assistance of his Autobot allies should he need it... especially against the Decepticons.
Youthful Exuberance, with a secondary calling of Thrill-Seeker: Hot Rod is the consummate hot-headed teenager, even if he is an alien robot. He's constantly on the lookout for adventure, and is more than happy to get mixed up in some mystery or situation to have fun.
In his vehicular mode, Hot Rod resembles a sleek, futuristic burgundy hot rod, with a yellow spoiler, chromed exhaust pipes, and an orange flame job. In his humanoid mode, Hot Rod is similarly sleek, and appears to have been built from burgundy, orange, yellow, and chrome auto parts.
Hot Rod is like a stereotypical adolescent human, one who dreams of being a hero. Furthermore, he's practically fearless, which (combined with his considerable impulsiveness) tends to get him into trouble. He's also rather personable and charismatic, when you get down to it.
Real Name: Hot Rod
Occupation: Autobot warrior, cavalier
Legal Status: Cybertronian citizen with no known criminal record on earth
Marital Status: inapplicable
Alias(es), if any: none
Group Affiliation: the Autobots, the Targetmasters (Autobot sub-group)
Height: 18' (approximately)
Eyes: crystal blue
Weight: several tons
Other Distinguishing Characteristics: Hot Rod is comprised of a strong alien metal that is primarily burgundy, orange, and yellow in hue. He either resembles a futuristic sports car or a robot built from the spare parts of one.
Firebolt, also known as Sparks, is a humanoid from the planet Nebulos. In some tales, Nebulans look just like humans, but in others they have green skin. He has been cybernetically and biologically augmented by Cybertronian technology to serve as Hot Rod's binary-bonded weapon.
Cybernetics: Firebolt has been seriously augmented by both Cybertronian and Nebulan science, to serve as Hot Rod's rather impressive firearm. As such, this highly intelligent alien cyborg is possessed of the following technological capabilities and prowess:
* Body Armor (s): the main visual change in Firebolt's body is that he is now covered in armor of Cybertronian make. He can remove this armor to feel somewhat human in nature, but requires it to use his powers. This is intensity 8 (+2) armor, providing him significant protection from injury.
* Enhanced Skeletal Structure (s): this modification reflects the enhancement that Firebolt has endured to withstand the rigorous combat situations that Cybertronians usually engage in. His bones should be considered to be of material strength 16 for all purposes.
* Environmental Independence (s): functioning on worlds with different atmospheres, Cybertronians don't worry about the need to breathe - and thanks to his armor, Firebolt need not do so either. Even when armored however, Firebolt must eat (a lot!), drink and sleep to survive.
* Shape Change (a): his most useful ability, this power allows Firebolt to transform into a rather large firearm. In this form, he can (or Hot Rod can use him to) fire a burst of intensity 15 electricity, which inflicts like energy damage with each blast.
Physics / Nuclear Physics 3 (i): Firebolt is one of the leading experts in this area on Nebulos, an earth-like world with technology somewhat in advance of our own. He benefits from an autotrump when making actions related to nuclear physics, in addition to the reduced difficulty.
Naturally, Firebolt can rely upon Hot Rod as a contact - they're partners after all, and possibly inseparable. Furthermore, Firebolt can also count most of his fellow Autobot-aligned Nebulans as allies, not to mention the Autobots in general, in the event that he requires assistance.
Explorer, with a secondary calling of Thrill-Seeker: though he was formerly content to explore the mysteries of the universe within his laboratory, Firebolt has since taken his show 'on the road', having thrilling adventures with the Autobots all the while!
In his humanoid form, Firebolt is surrounded by an armor suit that is black on the torso and arms, gray on the legs and feet, and has a red, visored face plate. In his electrostatic discharge gun mode, he has twinned, gray gun barrels, and a black handle (for Hot Rod to hold him with).
Firebolt was content to lead a life of quiet, scholarly pursuits - until the arrival of the Cybertronian war on Nebulos. Though he did so with some reservations, he nonetheless agreed to become Hot Rod's binary-bonded partner willingly, and is excited about the adventures he's having.
Hot Rod's history is particularly tangled up, considering that in some continuities he became a Targetmaster before his ascension into his Rodimus Prime form, and in others he did so after reverting back to Hot Rod once again. As is usual, pick a continuity and run with it.
If you're not seeing this content within the technohol.com domain, it's been stolen by someone who doesn't respect others' work.