the Devil-blasted Man
The Devil-blasted Man is Marvin Walters, a formerly normal human who fell into a portal to a particularly nasty universe way back in 1919 and was tortured for his mistake by the residents ever since. Though rescued from a perpetual living hell, the experience has changed Marvin considerably, his body and mind twisted far beyond recognition - but since everyone he used to know on Earth is dead, who would know?
Demonic Physique: though he is not a demon and was originally a human being, Marvin's body has taken on several characteristics of the hellish, malign plane he spent close to ninety years trapped within. It is unknown if being liberated from that environment will eventually cause his body to return to normal or not, but until this is determined, Marvin has access to the following, supernatural powers:
* Agelessness (s): an artificially induced change coerced by those who held him captive, this trait was adopted by Marvin's body against his will in an effort to prolong his agony in perpetuity. Little did his hateful, small-minded minions realize that a) Marvin might be rescued at some point in the future, and b) he might take them to task for almost a century of agony. Whoops.
* Fire Generation (a): Marvin can generate potent, searing flames from his body as he sees fit, flames that he can use to inflict intensity 14 fiery damage to his opponents. The only problem is that he is not immune to his own flames; his resistance does apply to such, but every time he wields this power at above intensity 10 he will suffer the additional damage caused as well.
* Resistance to Physical and Energy Attacks (s): Marvin's supernaturally twisted body is now an inherently magical thing, and it is highly resistant to attacks which are not magical, psionic or deionic in nature. It possesses this resistance at +3, giving him considerable immunity to assaults launched by those of a more 'normal' origin, though sadly it doesn't protect him fully from his own fiery powers.
* Spectral Vampirism (i): perhaps Martin's most terrifying ability is his power to actually feed on the spiritual energies given off by all sentient beings, in other words their Willpower. Of course, Martin exclusively uses this power whilst physically consuming some sort of demonic entity or another, to ensure they don't come back. He can wield this frightening ability at intensity 14.
* Teeth (s): Marvin has the ability to transform his otherwise ordinary teeth into sharp, needle-like fangs at his leisure, which he usually does when demonic entities are present; the better to eat them with. He may use these fangs to inflict his Strength +3 in sharp, lethal damage, but since they are magical in nature (as is his entire body really) they count as being such for the purposes of resistances like his own.
* Universal Digestion (s): thanks to this ability, Marvin can really subsist on just about any material when necessary, though he prefers to dine upon the flesh of demonic entities - in vast, vast quantities. This power allows him to do just that, letting him eat just about anything without undue problems, even amounts of matter greater than his body mass in just one sitting.
Hindrances / Augmentations:
Monstrous: even those who are used to traveling in circles of the fantastic and/or bizarre tend to think that poor Marvin is ugly; normal human-types are likely to flee on sight of him. In fact, Marvin has an effective Willpower score of zero (0) towards efforts to convince humans who have an Edge score of zero (0) to resist the urge to do just that, and his sunny disposition isn't about to help improve those odds anytime soon.
.666 Magnum (a): a custom-built weapon he had manufactured on Planet T, this device is an upgraded version of the .45 - and more. It can be fired against 'mundane' targets to inflict +6 damage per terrifying blast, though this damage completely ignores the armor of demonic entities, as the gun and its ammunition are built with philosophically charged, good-aligned matter.
Anthropology (i): Marvin is an acclaimed anthropologist, at least up until the time when he fell off the face of the earth back in 1919. He knows a lot about human beings and what makes them tick, and other sentients to a smaller degree. He should make related actions at a reduced difficulty level, though it would conspicuously omit knowledge of most history after his disappearance (World War II, etc...)
Brawling (s): he's not the best fighter out there but Marvin is tough and stubborn, and has sort of picked up these skills through trial and error. When wielding this skill in combat, Marvin can drop a foe into a coma if he reduces his cards or health points to zero (0) - at which point, if Marvin's foe is diabolical in nature, things tend to get really really bad for it...!
Lore (i): though he really didn't want this particular knowledge, Marvin has learned all about demons and other occult entities, primarily from painful first hand experience (though he has been studiously reading up on Planet T since his rescue, what with Vengeance being at the forefront of his mind). He should make all actions involving a knowledge of the occult at a reduced difficulty level.
There are few people that Marvin can count on as friends; he's pretty sure that everyone else is out to get him in one way or another. His primary contacts are his fellows in the Triumvirate of Tribulation, who are the Infernal Machine and Pincer Penny. Furthermore, Marvin has struck up an inexplicable friendship with the Quintuple Bartender of Club Invertebrate fame (though many people can claim the same).
Vengeance: as one could imagine, Marvin lives to punish all demonic entities for the decades of pain, both physical and mental, they have dished up for him. Whether he's interrupting their Byzantine plots, physically trouncing them, or going so far as to physically and spiritually consume them, Martin is only happy these days when he's raining on the parade of demons. The more the merrier, in fact.
Marvin tends to wear black clothing at all times, whether or not he's working. In the field, he dons a long black canvas trench coat, a long-sleeved, black collared shirt, loose-fitting black trousers, black leather gloves, black leather boots, and of course black plastic, horn-rimmed sunglasses (with black-tinted glass). It helps to cover up his glaringly crimson, blistered skin - or so he thinks at least.
Marvin is an angry and paranoid old man, though at least in his case it's not his fault. Thanks to the circumstances in which he has spent the majority of his life, he's completely justified in trusting hardly anyone, since demons have been playing mind games with him for almost ninety years now. He is fiercely loyal to his cohorts in the Triumvirate however, and would give his life to save theirs if necessary.
Real Name: Marvin Walters
Occupation: bounty hunter, former anthropologist
Legal Status: citizen of Planet T with a minor criminal record, citizen of Canada who is legally dead
Marital Status: single
Alias(es), if any: none
Group Affiliation: the Triumvirate of Tribulation
Height: 6' 6"
Eyes: orange, glowing
Weight: 253 lbs
Other Distinguishing Characteristics: Marvin is a tall and imposing figure, with crimson skin that has oversized blisters everywhere, as though he were burned at some point - or were boiling from within. His eyes glow a dull orange in hue, and when enraged his teeth transform into inch long, needle-like daggers of jagged disposition.
Marvin Walters became an anthropologist because he always had an admiration for the human spirit, and wanted to understand all aspects of his species. On one particular working trip he was studying some ancient ruins in the deep north when he somehow activated a portal that led from our world to... elsewhere. A much less pleasant elsewhere, in fact, being a realm overrun with demonic beings with no hobbies whatsoever.
You could imagine their glee when this unassuming human suddenly appeared before them, completely oblivious to them and their terrible ways. They proceeded to inflict all manner of tortures to his surprisingly fragile frame, putting him together again after each mutilation or dismemberment, and lengthening his lifespan to extend the party as long as possible. Naturally, this unhinged Marvin somewhat.
Days stretched into weeks, weeks into months, months into years... and years into decades. Torment after torment was inflicted upon Marvin's body and mind, the clumsy magic used to keep him alive slowly interacting with the hellish planescape to make him both more and less than he was before. In time, Marvin began to resemble his tormentors in both physical appearance and powers, though he could not escape them.
Enter Pincer Penny. A mutant bounty hunter who chased down her own kind to placate her own, intense self-loathing, she wound up in the nameless realm that Marvin was trapped within when a target with dimension-crossing abilities thought she could hide there. Not about to admit defeat, Penny secured passage there and indeed trounced her target, only to discover Marvin and his tormentors by pure happenstance.
Though usually focused on her own, claustrophobic world of hate and pain, Penny decided to lend Marvin a hand and dealt with his captors. Thinking to just leave at that point, she found that Marvin had decided to stick with her now, and unable to shake him went back to her home with him in tow. Her home, Planet T, completely boggled the mind of Marvin, and it took him a bit to adjust to the new, expansive universe.
He did in time though, and forever thankful to Penny, has dedicated himself to her service. She wields him as muscle on her jobs against mutants, though he often asks her to take up bounties on demons to get himself some vengeance now and then. Since the money was good, Penny had no problem with this notion, expanding her own business considerably in the process.
As such, these two, along with the Infernal Machine, have become the Triumvirate of Tribulation, bounty hunters and trouble shooters known across the multiverse as people who are more than ready to Get Things Done, as long as the Price is Right.
Interested in using Technoholic content in your own project? Please read this beforehand!